Monday 13 January 2014

Journeys are for X Factor, Clore is a Voyage...

Day one of the Clore residential here in Poole and today has been about learning a little more about my leadership style and how I interact with those around me. I am conscious that I don't particularly enjoy being in long free flowing meetings with no set agenda, or time constraints, and although I like and appreciate creativity- my preference is for strategy and planning. What I have thought of less is how my style or working impacts on others, which can inhibit how you get the best out of other people.

There have been a couple of reassuring and reaffirming moments in my journey already- the first of which is that focussing on your strengths allows you to do two things. Firstly, if you focus on things you are not very good at you will only ever be mediocre. However, if you focus on where your strengths lie, you can excel. Strong leadership is about having the self-awareness and confidence to recognise things you're not so good at, accepting them, and bring in the people you need around you who like doing the stuff you don't. Secondly, that although the cohort of Clore Fellows are no doubt in future, and indeed already proving to be an invaluable sounding board and support that this is a very personal journey. I am very excited and hopeful of what might be achieved within and beyond my two years with Clore and equally excited to see what the other fellows do with their opportunity. 

My take home for today is this- as a leader you need to be comfortable and aware of yourself and your capabilities, and then stretch yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment